Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I found a wood stove! and staying motivated

    As I was getting my water barrel at the farm store I found a little cast iron stove on sale for $280.00. After Mom's 10% discount it'll cost about $260.00. of course I'll still need to get the wall/floor protection ($150) and stove pipe($250) and a load of mill ends ($350). For under $1000.00 total  I'll have everything I'll need for  wood heat/cooking next winter!  I think I'll be able to barter for someone who can install  the fire place.
   I know it seems so overwhelming when you start out. You see so much that you need and it all seems to cost a lot of money. But you just got to keep plugging away at it. This is a marathon and not a sprint. You will be changing your whole way of life if you embrace prepping. That's very hard for most folks to do.
  If you are starting out and think you want to be a homesteader but you are still trapped in the city or suburbs start with the little things. Trust me living off the land and working with animals and farming and gardening is a lot of physical work. Start small and always think of adding a little at a time. You don't have start with a whole house solar setup fo $50,000.00. Get a few solar security lights or a couple of solar panels a good battery and charger controller for $300.00. You will save money right away if replace your security lights with solar lights. Sure it's only a few pennies or dollars but it's all yours. If you watch those nickels and dimes the dollars will take care of themselves.One of the biggest things that most folks forget is "It's not how much money you make, it's how much money you keep!"
    Instead of planting a huge garden to start,  plant some square foot gardens or use pots. Ease yourself into it and find out much time you can dedicate to growing your own food. If you have a full-time job or are working several partime jobs this will give you a better idea on how much time and effort you can put into your "Homestead". Seeds are cheap and if you can eat at least 1 pound of veggies each of those seeds you have planted from your garden you have paid for those seeds.
   I find that when I get bogged down with prepping and trying to stay focused on the goals. Something always comes up and gets me back on track. Of course most folks probably won't get excited of going 5 days without tap water so it's just me being odd. But I take a lot of pleasure in the small things I get done and there points during my adventure that I felt I never get it done and in a way that is true. There is always more to be done another challenge to be met and overcome. I will also tell you there are points along the way that will give you a feeling of accomplishment and will make the next goal easier to get done.
     My first AHA! momemnt is when I realised I had 6 months of food on hand. It got me out of panic mode thinking and trust me I was in a controlled panic. Most of buying was smart longterm items but it seemed I needed so much and had very little money to work with tht the task seemed nearly impossible. That six months of goods showed me I could do this prepping thing, and I didn't need to freak out. That food buffer got me started on buying equipment a little at a time and often on layaway but after buying my shotgun (cash) and my campstove (Layaway) I began to gain confidence that everything was do able, it would just take time.
    Now that I had some basics I could start my shopping lists on what I needed in the future and I could get on sale. That in turned freed up more cash for getting more things I wanted and found on sale like my smoker grill. Once out of that panic mode you can make lists for the future but you limit yourself to only buying on sale or second hand and just with the cash you have budgeted for prepping. Remember these items don't need to go into some black hole and you never use again. Most items are great for camping and using daily around the house. Hot summer or fall day, break out the campstove and cook outside! keeps the house cooler and you get familiar cooking with your little gas stove. While yu will use some propane you will also save on electricity.
     So find those little victories and celebrate them. Write them in a journal or like I do on my blog. Then go back and see how you have changed your attitude and tone. Stay positive and focus on what you do and get done, not how much you need to do.
 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have the right attitude with your marathon analogy. Prepping can be fun if you don't let it overwhelm you. It just becomes a way of life if you take it slow and steady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. That advice couldn't have come at a better time as lately I've been getting a bit weirded out thinking how things have ground to a halt around here as far as preps go.
    I know I'm further on in some areas and weak in others. Money has been tight and lots of unexpected things have come up that require cash I wasn't planning on.
    Tome for a deep breath and focus I guess.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concratulations on the woodstove. You go girl.
    That is one of my to do purchases this year. Even if I can just get the stove. I have to prep the house differently because its a modular, but it is similar to a home.
    Another is a generator of some sort and the solar lights.
    I have had about a years worth of food, but I have dipped into it, so I need to take a inventory and replenish, especially rice and some grains. I was so proud of my canned and dehydrated items I did. Even though the garden was weird last year, I still got lots of garden produce canned, and it really helped when I purchased my big pressure canner after getting over the fear of operating it. It makes processing food easier and safer.
    Prepping is an on-going, and decision making process. It can be mind boggling, but like you say, it's a marathon over time, and yes, you have glitches in money or something that had to be done before you do the other.
    Great post, today.
    Blogger fixed itself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finding your stove. Being able to heat and do some emergency cooking a huge relief.

    We keep plugging away and it the effort adds up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't got the stove yet, but I can see now that I can get started on the process. No matter what I buy I will need the floor and wall protection and I think I'll get by with concrete board and covering for the walls. I'll stop by the city code dept. and see what I'll need to meet code and I'll get a better idea on the total cost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought one of these heat exchangers from ChimneyHeaters.com and it is Stainless Steel. The rest of the pipes in my house are Copper and some plastic. I get a tremendous amount of heat from this thing and I am worried that it will melt the copper or plastic tubing.The heat coming out of the Chimney Heater is about 190f does anyone know if this is to hot for the copper or Plastic pipes in my House?

    ReplyDelete